Siew Lan Low Guidelines
The Siew Lan Low fund was started by the late captain, Kiang Low with a donation of $500. Since 2011, TRAILBLAZERS Executive voted that in March of each fiscal year, the Finance Officer or President will see that the Siew Lan Low account will be topped up with up to 10% of yearly donations if needed to maintain a balance of $500.
The purpose of this fund is to enable potential TRAILBLAZERS stoker members, volunteer captains and club volunteers to participate in club activities where they otherwise could not, due to financial restraints.
1. Eligible Members
Stoker members, volunteer captains and club volunteers who express financial need.
2. Eligible expenses
Any items related to participating in cycling activities with the TRAILBLAZERS, for example, cycling-related clothing, cycling accessories; club event tickets; and personal costs for attending club-related events such as; transportation, care for a dependant or a service animal, the cost of food and non-alcoholic beverages.
3. Fund Criteria
The fund will cover no more than 75% of eligible requests up to a limit of $75 per eligible member per fiscal year. Eligible members may not apply two years in a row; however all applications will be considered depending on financial need, Siew Lan Low fund availability and previous requests. Eligible members can apply once a year only for expenses incurred during the active fiscal year.
4. Application requirements and Procedure
In order for any request to be reviewed by the Siew Lan Low committee, the following conditions must be met:
- All requests must be submitted in written form in the preferred format of the applicant, this includes email, print, or braille. Verbal requests are disqualified but in an effort to provide accommodations in exceptional situations which will be duly evaluated by the President, a member of the Executive Board may assist an individual to put their request in writing.
- The request must comprise a document outlining the reasons for subsidies, cost incurred or to be incurred if subsidy is to be granted.
- Proof of the incurred expenses, for example, official receipts or an invoice must be provided. The required documents must be received by the TRAILBLAZERS President no later than 14 business days after the purchase.
5. Review Committee
The committee consists of the President, 1 Member At Large and a paid member of the current year.
The committee will review the request and render a decision within 3 weeks from receiving the application.
The committee makes its decisions based on criteria such as the following:
- Funds available during the current fiscal year
- Members expressed financial need
- First time applicants will have priority
6. Governing principles and confidentiality
The Siew Lan Low Fund Committee: To review all requests for funding fairly and in accordance with the funding criteria.
All applicants’ information will be kept confidential with TRAILBLAZERS Executive Board and within the Siew Lan Low review committee.